skip to Main Content

How Do I Complete Form SS-5 to Get a Social Security Card?

If you need a new Social Security card, you will have to submit an application to the Social Security Administration (SSA). If your card is lost, damaged, or stolen, or you’re applying for one for the first time, you will need to complete the SSA’s Form SS-5 to get a Social Security card. However, like most government forms, the SS-5 can be confusing. And dealing with the SSA can be just as frustrating and time-consuming as dealing with the DMV. Fortunately, we can help. We’ll walk you through the process of applying for a Social Security card and show you how to get your new or replacement card fast and with no hassle.

Do I need Form SS-5 to get a Social Security card?

Whether you need a replacement card or you’re applying for your first Social Security card, Form SS-5 is the only way to do it. So, you will have to complete Form SS-5 to get a Social Security card if you:

  • Never received a Social Security number (SSN)
  • Lost your Social Security card
  • Had your card stolen
  • Damaged your SS card
  • Changed your name
  • Have a card with incorrect information
  • Need to get a card for your child or dependent
  • Changed your citizenship status

How do I use Form SS-5 to get a Social Security card?

First, you will need to get Form SS-5 from the SSA and fill it out completely. You can get the form on the SSA’s website or in person at your local SSA office. It contains several pages of rules, regulations, and requirements, so you will have to make sure that you read through them carefully. If you make any mistakes when filling out the form or submitting your application, the SSA may deny your request. Then you will have to start all over at the beginning. Next, you must mail the form and any supporting documents you need to the SSA. Or, you can take to your local SSA office and submit it in person.

Which supporting documents do I need?

It depends on your situation. At the very least, you will need to include proof of identification. This can be a:

If you don’t have any of these forms of ID, then the SSA may accept an alternative, such as an employee or school ID card or your health insurance card. Any document that you send must be an original or certified copy, and it must be valid and unexpired. Just a standard photocopy is not acceptable, even if it is notarized.

Other supporting documents

  • When using Form SS-5 to get a Social Security card name change, you also need proof that have legally changed your name. So, you must provide a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order showing that your name has officially changed.
  • If you are not already on record as a U.S. citizen, then you also have to submit proof of citizenship. For example, a U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization.
  • To get a card for a dependent, you will have to provide proof of your identity and theirs. You will also need to show evidence that they are your dependent.
  • If you’ve changed your citizenship or immigration status, you will need to provide supporting documents of this as well. Depending on your status change, you may need to get a new Social Security card before you can legally work in the U.S.
  • Finally, if you are applying for a new card due to an error on yours, there is no additional paperwork necessary, other than the basic proof of identification. However, you should include a note with your application, explaining the error and highlighting the correction.

What if I am using Form SS-5 to get a Social Security card for the first time?

If you are getting your first Social Security card and are 12 or older, you will have to go to the SSA office in person. They will interview you and ask for proof that you never received an SSN. For example, you can show them evidence that you were born as an American citizen, outside the country, and have been living abroad. Or, if this is not the case, you can provide school records showing that you did not have an SSN on file.

The easiest way to apply for a Social Security card

If you’re already feeling overwhelmed just reading all this information, you’re not alone. That’s why we developed a better way to apply for a Social Security card. Instead of a long, complicated form, we have a short, simple questionnaire. You provide some basic information, and we do the rest. We will complete your Form SS-5, and we guarantee its accuracy. In addition, we do all the research to determine exactly which forms of ID and supporting documents you will need to provide. Then, we give you your complete application package, along with clear directions on how to submit it. We also provide you with a pre-paid, secure, trackable envelope to send it to the SSA. Thanks to our extensive database, your application will go to the correct SSA office that can process it in the shortest time possible. You’ll get your Social Security card in the mail in as little as two weeks after the SSA processes your application. Click here to get started and get your Social Security card on its way to you, with no frustration and no hassle.

Find about Social Security with SSN Simple. We made Social Security Easy, order your social security card replacement from your home or office in one click.

Back To Top